Wednesday, July 20, 2011

New Focus

Now that I am back from China, the contents of this blog will obviously need to change just a bit.
(Where I used to buy eggs and vegetables)

At first, I was planning to just quit this whole blog gig entirely. Not only does blogging take significant time, thought, and energy, but the blogging culture as a whole feels a bit trendy and overdone. From that perspective, I was ready to throw in the towel and "express myself" through some other mediums.

The other day, however, I was talking to a dear lady and pastor in our community. She looked at me sincerely and said, "You're going to keep blogging, aren't you? I read it religiously." And so with her simple words (and my mom's never-failing enthusiasm,) I have been inspired to keep blogging.

Now the big question is what should be the focus of the blog. Since being home, I have considered writing about some comical, small-town things that have happened already in my short two weeks. Simple things like a house auction or having someone ask my mom if she needed to accompany me during my dentist appointment make for good fodder.

Perhaps, I could write a blog about reverse culture shock. I could write about some things that annoy or confuse me about American culture.

Maybe I could write about my research for Teaching English as Second Language Classes.

Or I how my body feels when I try not to eat any red meat or milk or wheat or whatever food group I'm choosing to shun that month.

Or perhaps I could get into fashion blogging by taking photos of what I wear everyday and writing the complete outfit breakdown along with my thoughts and inspiration for each outfit. . . ...yeah, way out of my league and no photographer boyfriend.

or maybe I could start a blog where each post is a list about something. A list of things I want to do in my 30's, a list of indie singers, a list of interesting paint color names, and so on.

Or maybe, some of you have some good ideas of where to go from here. I would love to hear them.
And, here's a nostalgic photo of friends (because I miss them.)



3 comments:

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

I think the reverse-culture shock thing is interesting. What are the Chinese doing right? What are we doing wrong? How has this experience broadened your world view? Are you going to serve more in the US than you had before you went on these trips? Just a few ideas for starters :) I am a friend of D & R's, and I enjoy reading your blog :)

Unknown said...

Even writing about seemingly mundane things takes thought.

Portia said...

Good ideas Jenny. As I go through different stages of cultural re-adjustment, I think different issues will come up. Norm and Joyce, you also have a good point; sometimes writing the seemingly mundane takes the most work and creative energy.