Sunday, August 05, 2007

Beijing Buses

The day after we arrived in the city, we were put into groups and paired with two Chinese speaking students who were also studying English. We had a list of items and tasks we had to accomplish such as buying some kind of unique Chinese snack, taking a picture in front of Tiananmen square, riding in a taxi, taking a picture with the taxi driver, etc. I will try to post some of our pictures. Our guides were so sweet. They were actually twins.

Today, I am meeting a Chinese friend who I actually met this past semester in school. She is very sweet, and she told me that since returning to China this summer, she has gotten married. I am happy for her. I asked her if they had a wedding, and she said that they did not have a wedding--they only had to register with the government.

Weddings must be different here. I have also noticed that hardly any of the Chinese people wear wedding bands even though I assume that the majority of them are married. When we visited the Temple of Heaven, we saw a bride getting her pictures taken in the park. People here do not normally buy wedding dresses, but rather rent them probably by the hour.

No comments: