Thursday, August 06, 2015

Child Care and Budgeting

This past week, we were having dinner at my dear friend's house (who is due one day before me) when she shared that she had already found child care for next April! What? Panic. Anxiety. "Why am I so slow?" I thought to myself.

So yesterday, my husband and I called at least 10 different in-home day care providers in our area to see if we could find care for our little T this coming April.  No luck.  Most providers are booked in the infant department. By law, each provider is only allowed to care for 2 infants (age 1 month to 2 years) at a time. You can imagine that there are many more moms and dads in Roseville looking for infant care than 30 providers can support. One provider also told us that even if we did find someone who had an opening, they were unlikely to hold it for that many months.  "I always tell people, call me when the baby's born" she advised. Yikes! That's cutting it kind of close, No?

So, right now we are just in limbo. I might call more places tonight, but I'm not sure if it's just wasting my time or not. Maybe we do need to wait until January. Many people end up taking their child to a day care center. We are not opposed to that, but it costs nearly twice as much as in-home day care. At that point, I'm not sure it's worth my salary.

So, these are some of the things we are mulling over. Since when did being an adult become so intense and responsibility-laden? I know that many of my friends have decided to stay home with their little ones; I am open to this too at least until little T is 8 months or so, and I need to do my student teaching. But I'm also a little worried that I might go batty staying home everyday.

Moms out there, what did you do for day care? Would you recommend staying home with your little one? At what point did you find child care?

No comments: