Thursday, January 01, 2015

A New Year, a New Resolution


Last year on my blog, I wrote that I had one simple goal for the New Year: to write more. I would give myself a C+ on reaching my goal. I did in fact write more, but not in the capacity I was imagining. My goal was to write more regularly on this blog and also to do some free-lance writing. Neither of those things happened, but I did end up writing a lot of lesson plans and email communications with a part-time teaching job I took this past June. The writing has helped to keep my fingers flying and my mind mentally challenged. It's been a gift, and I am thankful. 

This year, my New Year's Resolution is to read the bible and pray with Rob everyday. Along those same lines, I feel convicted that I need to prioritize my role as a wife above other things in my life. Rob and I were talking about our goals the other day, and we decided it's like this: our relationship with each other is the second most important relationship we have next to our personal relationship with God. If our marriage relationship is not going well, it doesn't matter how any of our other relationships are doing; we will be silently suffering.  

We are entering a season of intentional prioritizing. Rob works pretty long and intense hours and comes home beat. I work fewer hours, but fill up each space of my day with activity so that I am equally as tired by the time my head hits the pillow. It is time for a change.  

I am not sure how to set milestones or objectives for this resolution of prioritizing my role as a wife, but I think it is going to include a lot of passing on extra-curricular activities. Instead of saying "yes" to lots of things that sound good and are interesting to me, I need to reserve a bit more energy for taking care of things at home and being more available (mentally) for Rob. It is going to be a challenge for me, but I am convinced it will be worth it! 

And what better reminder of my New Year's goal than this song by Tenth Avenue North which pretty much sums up my prayer and resolution for 2015. 


No comments: