Monday, August 31, 2009

Heart's Desire - to learn more

8/20/09: Will you ever know enough? Sometimes I wonder if I will ever have enough Chinese to fully understand people. Will I ever be able to get 80% of what people are saying? Will I ever be able to understand that they are making a joke or being sarcastic or being rude? Will I ever have a taxi ride where I don’t have to ask them to explain some word? Oh to be competent and fluent in Chinese! Recently, I have felt very discouraged and unable to get beyond the language hump of being able to have intimate conversations in Chinese. Although I can talk with people about simple topics, I can’t go deep places with them, and it’s slowly tugging at the corners of my otherwise cheery disposition, making me feel as though my entire year of language study was in vain.

No comments: