Tuesday, May 27, 2008

thoughts from students

The other day in my class, students were to write down controversial topics that people might disagree on. I thought their answers were interesting. Here are a few of them:
1. The price of bags should be higher.
2. In China, we should abolish the College Entrance Exam.
3. A girl should care for her appearance.
4. All libraries should be free to people.
5. If you love someone, you should let he/she know.
6. Law should allow euthanasia.
7. One should not send oneself’s parents to old people’s home.
8. We shouldn’t have a mobilephone in senior middle school.
9. You should go to bed before 12:00 everynight.
10. As a student, you should put most of time in studying.
11. We should study hard now.
12. The parent should buy a computer for their child when he is a middle school student.
I think that some of their thoughts are similar to what college students in the State would debate, but you can tell that they have a lot of pressure to study and it is foremost on their minds. (By the way, these answers were from my freshman students.) While my freshman students have been more motivated in their English studies, my sophomore students have been noticeably unmotivated in their English studies. The sophomores finished taking an important exam about 1 month ago, and I think they are still taking it easy. Some of them have told me they feel like they have reached a stand-still in their English abilities and just keep talking about the same topics over and over again. As their oral English teacher, I want to help, but not sure how to best encourage them or how to give them the tools to go deeper in conversation. I really think they have all the language skills they need to discuss topics at a deeper level, but I think they are not always comfortable or confident to take conversations to a deeper level.

No comments: