Thursday, May 01, 2008

Insight from Student

The other day during a break in my teaching, one of the students made this comment to me: “Strasser, you must be rich.” Surprised, I asked her why she thought so. She said, “You are wearing 2 rings, so we think you are very rich.”
Hmm, I guess this gives me a new perspective on wearing rings in the classroom. Never mind the fact that in America, you can buy rings in vending machines, rings here must have their own status. I think that wealthy Chinese people might wear rings to identify their status. In light of this new culture knowledge, I’m not sure if I should continue to wear my rings. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would ask your team members this question. How interesing. It is not so different as it is here, really. We often make assumptions based on our own preconceived ideas.
Mom