Thursday, April 03, 2008

Do we eat duck?

I was having supper with one of my students and she was explaining that her parents were farmers and were very poor. I asked her how they saved money to send her and her 3 siblings to college (which is a topic for another time). She said that they bought cheap things and that they didn’t usually buy food. . . they just grew their own food such as vegetables. Then, her family would sell these vegetables at the market. She also said they raised ducks and chickens to help make money. “All farmers will raise these animals to make money.” She asked me if ducks and chickens were common in America. I personally don’t often eat duck or see it available to buy. But, I couldn’t really give her an answer about why we don’t eat so much duck. Do our palates prefer chicken? Or is duck a regional taste? Maybe in some places in America duck is more common, but not in our little corner of South Dakota. What do the rest of you think?

No comments: