Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The shopkeeper


The word for pistachio in Chinese is literally translated "happy nut" (开心果)。The other day, I bought myself a little package of this delightful treat and explained to the shopkeeper how nuts make a healthy snack. He looked at me withwarning eyes and said, "but you shouldn't eat too many, or it's easy to get fat." I waved the small little package in front of him and asked, "Is this considered a lot of nuts? Plus, it will take me 3 or 4 days to eat this package." He looked at me in surprise and asked, "How?"
"Self-control" I responded.
I really enjoy all the little health tips the shop keeper gives. It doesn't really matter what I buy, he always throws in some extra advice for free. When I buy tea, he will tell me that it's better to buy the tea leaves and not the bottles of tea. When I buy milk, he will ask me how I use it and scold me when I tell him it's for coffee. "Coffee is not good for you."
As of recent, the boss has often not been in the store and instead, one of his relatives will be working the counter. The relative will ask you how much the item is that you want to buy. If you don't remember how much it costs, they just might refuse to sell it to you because they are afraid of cheating you.

No comments: