Monday, October 18, 2010

Funny things students say

In class, while I’m walking around, “Miss Strasser, are you a half-blood?”

“Hmm, I don’t know what that is, but I don’t think I am.”Then, after realizing the student meant mixed blood, I couldn’t help but be flattered.

“No, I’m not a half-blood, but I’m happy you think I might be.” To a lot of our students, so called “half-bloods” are very clever and beautiful people. Score!

On the back of a note-card introduction:

“As what I have told you, my English name has special meaning.” (Student’s English name is Missingly.) “I’m a special girl. I have my own way to do things.”

From a student, “I think you’re earrings are too big. It looks a little strange.”

“Er, ah, okay. Why do you think so?”

“I think it looks better without the earrings.”
I take out one earring. “Like this?” I turn the half of my face without the earring to the student. “Does this look better?”
“Oh, no I guess it looks better with the earrings.” Hmm, thought so. Another student comments, “The earrings look like black buttons. buttons.”

“Yes, I think so too.” New subject please.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Communication can be interesting in many ways.

Chris R said...

Maybe they thought your teaching was so magical that they wondered if one of your parents was a wizard and one of your parents was a muggle thus making you a half-blood. Keep up the good work!