Thursday, May 01, 2008

May Day Holiday

This week, we have a 3 day week-end for the May day Holiday. Holidays here do not hold the same significance they do for me in America. In America, I would use the time to visit family. Here, I just mope around feeling sorry for myself until the end of the Holiday when I realize I don't have time to feel sorry for myself and then I feel overwhelmed with life in general. This morning, I woke up and cleaned my kitchen shelves; doing this task makes me feel closer to home for some reason…my kitchen goods all spread out on the floor is similar to the way I remember mom cleaning the refrigerator.

The rest of the day, I went to a park with some of my freshman students. This park is in the center of our city. It feels more like a carnival than a park, but it also has a lake, trees, and benches to give it a park feel. We went on a few carnival like rides and visited a haunted house. The haunted house was not very scarey...and it smelled like sweat, very comparable to a haunted house in America but without real-live actors and actresses running around scaring people. We then had lunch at KFC. This place was packed and there were people just standing around, watching others eat so they could claim the table as soon as it was free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How interesting that cleaning your cupboards reminds you of home. It is a job I try to avoid...ha! We miss you too but are so happy for you and the willingness to follow your heart and passion.
Mom