Thursday, December 24, 2015

All I want for Christmas is. . .

Rob and I enjoy exchanging gifts for Christmas. It's nothing overly lavish, but it's the one time a year when we can get some of those special things that we miss purchasing for ourselves during the year (like candles and DVD's-- see Five Things We Gave Up to Get Out of Debt.)

But this year, I asked for something a little different-- my own self-hosted blog. :) Rob agreed, and the blog fee will be the majority of my Christmas present. I can't wait! It's been a dream of mine for at least a year to have my own self-hosted blog.

What are the benefits of a self-hosted blog?
Mainly, it allows you to make money from your blog. I don't have dreams of becoming rich by writing my own blog, but I do think that I could monetize it by just adding some simple basic features that aren't available on blogger. I will also have rights to my own blog, so I will own the material I write and there is no chance of my blog suddenly getting erased.

I have some practical goals for my blog ambitions.

1. First, I need to pick a focus for the blog. I want my friends and family to weigh in on this:
 * I like writing about budgeting and living simply.
 * I predict I will also enjoy writing about raising kids on a budget.
 * I like writing about living intentionally.
All of these topics are interesting to me, and I feel passionate about each of them. However, I want to pick the topic that is going to be the best fit for me. I also need to pick something that I can continue writing about every week.

2. Next, I want to try to write one post a week.  I know that some weeks this might not be possible, but hopefully I will be able to take advantage of the slower days and get ahead of writing the blog posts.

3. I need to figure out how to add my blog to Pinterest. I'm sure you've seen the photos with blog tag lines on them on Pinterest. My goal is to figure out how to create these little links to also add my blog to Pinterest.

And that's what I'm getting for Christmas!  I can't wait. I don't have any grand expectations, but I love writing and I love sharing life through writing so why not try something new?

Friends, let me know what topic you think would be the best fit for my blog either by leaving a comment or by sending an email.



No comments: