Friday, November 16, 2007

Pronunciation Fatigue

It is quite interesting teaching pronunciation classes since I never learned to speak using this method. When I learned my sounds back when I was two, I obviously did not use the phonetic alphabet. In fact, most native speakers don’t even really know what the phonetic alphabet is. Before this semester, I was one of those who had little respect for the phonetic alphabet, but let me tell you that after teaching the sounds to a group of ambitious freshman students, I realize the value it plays in helping students pronounce their sounds. Teaching these pronunciation classes is some intense teaching. The students are constantly (in a good way) asking how their pronunciation is with this sound and how they can better make the distinction between the “e” and the “a.” During group work, they have me listen to their pronunciation or better yet have me listen to their partner’s pronunciation who they often say is pronouncing the sound wrong. One student asked me why the way I pronounced the sound was different than the way her Chinese teacher pronounced the sound. Actually I had no idea how to respond to that question wihtout causing either her teacher or myself to lose face, but I think I said something about different accents. In the States during group work, I would walk leisurely around the classroom, ask a few students who looked confused some questions to make sure they understood and then just relax a little. Not here—these students make me work for every minute of teaching. At the end of the periods, I am exhausted, and it’s all I can do to make it out the door and pop in a piece of sweet, sugary candy to coat my tired little throat.

No comments: