Friday, August 24, 2007

Teaching and Leaving

This week, we had a practicum teaching session in Beijing. We were on teaching teams of 3. We had the morning to prepare, and the afternoon to teach for 3 hours. I was with two other women around my age. The students were local, Chinese college students. We had a lot of fun with our students, and they gave me a lot of confidence.

Today in class, I told them a technology story about a time when one of my friends had accidentally forwarded an email to me that was about me. After telling this story, I asked the students what quality the story had that made it a good story. One student said, "It's your story, and we like you, so we enjoy your story." This student clearly knew how to tug at my heart strings. But moments like this have been an encouragement to me throughout the week.

On Tuesday, we will leave Beijing, and take a plan to Hunan. From the capital city of Changsha, we will take a train or a bus to our city. We shipped our big suitcases yesterday, so for at least 5 days, I have been living on very few outfits and extras. It's amazing how few clothes a person really does need. Yes, I may not feel as fresh all the time, but freshness is over-rated.

No comments: